Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Animal Rescue

Sometimes working at a hotel, you get guests with more then 2 legs. We are considered a "Pet Friendly" hotel but the guests I'm referring to aren't registered.
A couple years ago our old GM Sandra and I preformed "Cat Rescue 2006" - a small kitten had ran into a drainage pipe and was lodged were we couldn't reach it. The more things we tried, the farther back in the drain the cat went.
Then, our intern Gentry went onto the top of the building and without warning, dumped GALLONS of water into the down spout not only soaking and scaring the cat out of the drain but DRENCHING Sandra & myself.
Today, we had a similar incident when a full grown rabbit came INSIDE through the meeting room and into the lobby!
I grabbed a box out of the office while a desk clerk got on the other side of the buffet the varmint was hiding behind and tried to push him out with a yard stick. The rabbit ran to the box as we had hoped but then JUMPED ON TOP OF THE BOX looking eye to eye with me and took off through the hotel! He then proceeded down the hall, into the office and settled into the GM office.
Picture 4 adults chasing a rabbit around a desk and chairs within a 8x8 ft room. It was a spectacle to say the least.
After setting a number of traps, we finally got him into a Pier One Bag. The new guy grabs the bag and holds it up and yells "I Got Him!" - if only we were so lucky. The rabbit jumps out of the top of the bag - onto the desk - everyone screams and he's back in the floor. The hunt continues.
Its been about 30 minutes now. I finally get close to him, knell down and get my hands around him. He was completely relaxed and let me hold him without a fight.
Then the desk clerk starts yelling "He's going to bite you!" I get scared, the rabbit starts squirming and I start running! Through the lobby, with guests watching, I run with rabbit in hand out the door.
WHEW! Rabbit Rescue is complete. I wish we had pictures. If were on a two year trend here I'm worried of what 2010 has in store.

No comments: