Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thankful

You know life isn't always easy and it doesn't always go as planned but I think I have learned more the in the last six months than I had in 25 years.
At the end of October I got a call about my grandmother, Mamaw Orr. I went back to Knoxville and sat with my Dad in an ICCU waiting room for days only getting to see her every 3 hours. I stood, holding her hand, when the doctors told us it wouldn't be much longer and that we should start making arrangements.
A few days later I walked down the aisle and married the amazing man that God had created just for me.
On November 20th, I woke up to a phone call that two of my very best friends were in a tragic car accident. "Cody didn't make it" was all I heard before everything became a blur. I spent the next two days in another ICCU waiting room surrounded by so many, from different areas of the country, all praying/pleading with God to bring Trey through this time.
On Thanksgiving Day, Trey also went home to be with the lord. Standing in the waiting room and hearing the news my body went numb. I couldn't cry anymore and the pain I was feeling consumed me.
As I sat down to dinner with my family, giving thanks for all we had, I prayed harder then I have ever prayed before. The Bible says to "rejoice in all things" but that isn't the easiest thing to do when you don't understand why. I thanked him anyway.
I thanked him for healing my grandmother and for the time I have with her. I thanked him for taking Cody instantly so that he never had to suffer. And I thanked him for the people he brought together through Trey and the lives that would be saved by his organs.
I've heard stories before about those who said they have "felt" Gods loving arms around them but always thought it was a figure of speech. I'm here to tell you its not. When I prayed that prayer I was shivering all over and then, like nothing I've ever felt before, a warmth came over me like the biggest bear hug you've ever had.
It was then I began to understand. Not why he took my friends away, but that he has a plan that I will never be able to comprehend. But, if I trust him and praise him, he'll give me the comfort I need and will help me through.
I have so many things to be thankful for and God answers prayers everyday. Mamaw Orr is now a regular at the 5th Sunday Night Singing playing the piano at church for hours on end. Five families, now have their loved ones returned to them through Treys organ donation. FIVE!
Today, Tracy had her surgery and came through with flying colors! The best possible outcome doctors could hope for and that is definitely something to be thankful for.
Please remember, Thanksgiving isn't just a holiday that comes around once a year. Thank God for the blessings in your life each and every day. You just might get a bear hug of your own.

No comments: